Monday, September 12, 2016

A Home Birth Story :: Henry Francis

Sunday, July 17th. It was a typical Sunday. We made it to church that morning, came home for some lunch, and then later that afternoon headed over to my in-laws for some swimming and dinner. I was feeling just fine, other than being a little more tired than normal. A friend texted me around 7:30pm asking if I was having any signs of labor and I said, "I'm doing well! No signs of baby coming, but I never do get any early signs of labor. I haven't really decided if that's a good thing or not!" My due date was on the 21st, and with my other babies being born 4 days late, 3 days late and then 3 days early it could happen any day!

We got the boys to bed once we were home, and then Dean and I settled into bed for the evening. I got a text from my midwife around 10pm saying that she had just been going through my charts and noticed that they had given me the due date of July 18th at my 20 week ultrasound based on his size. I said, "They never mentioned that. Haha. Oh well!"

I finally fell asleep around 11pm. I woke up around 1am feeling uncomfortable and having occasional light contractions, and for the next couple hours was in and out of sleep. At 3:15am I finally pulled out my phone to start timing them. For the next 1.5 hours I was having contractions every 4 to 7 minutes. I hadn't woken up Dean yet. Even though I wasn't able to sleep through them, they weren't unbearable, and I knew if I woke him up he wouldn't be able to get back to sleep. At one point I looked on my weather app to see what time the sun was going to rise, because I really didn't want to have the baby while it was still dark. I also had grand plans of eventually getting up to fix my hair, put on makeup and help get the bed ready. Priorities man!

Around 5am I got up to use the bathroom. Contractions were around 5 minutes apart by this time, but the whole time I was up I had no contractions. I started thinking that maybe I just had to go pee this whole time! I have never had contractions go from being consistently 5 minutes apart and then just...not. I went back to bed and within a few minutes I had a toe curling contraction! I woke up Dean right then, and told him what was going on. He was a little upset that I didn't wake him earlier! I had two more intense contractions, and we immediately went into baby is coming mode! By 5:30am we had called everyone on my (long!) list, and told them to come asap. I told Dean I was going to get up to fix up my hair and put on makeup, and he quite sternly told me, "No way are you getting up!" Smart guy! I continued to lay in bed on my side until everyone had arrived.

By 6am everyone had arrived. I knew as soon as I got up that things would really speed up. It was the same way with both Sam and Charlie's births. I lay in bed until everyone is there, and then I get up and assume my position at the edge of my bed. No tub. No birthing ball. I feel like I should apologize to my photographer; I do not give much variety when it comes to different photo ops!

We woke the boys up once everyone had arrived, and they all had to get in their hugs. I loved having them there!

I continued to labor at the side of my bed, but it didn't take very long before I got the urge to push!

This was my first birth having a doula, and I am so glad I did! As wonderful as Dean is as a birth partner, it was great having someone there who knew exactly what to say to keep me focused (and to remind me during every contraction to relax my face!)

Once I got the urge to push, I immediately got back into my bed onto my right side and started to push that baby out! My waters had not broken yet, and I pushed out his head with the sac completely intact! He was also posterior, and had his hand up on his face. It was by far the most intense birth I've had!

 Seeing my baby's head still in the sac! So crazy!

I think I very well could have had him completely en caul, but the cord was around his neck. My midwife had to break my water to unwrap the cord from his neck before I could push his body out. After about 15 minutes of pushing, Henry Francis Eaton was born at 6:52am!

 Big brother, Will, got to cut the cord

 7lbs. 6oz. 21 inches long!

Will's birth story
Sam's birth story
Charlie's birth story


  1. Beautiful story!! I am SO looking forward for having a homebirth with this sweet baby! I love that Will cut the cord. ❤️

  2. Had to come back and read this again in honor of the day. :) So glad I did!!

  3. Calculate your monthly loan payment using today's rates. canadian mortgage calculator Hello Jackie and Peter, Just a quick thanks for all of the work both of you put in, to get me out with the mess how the Royal Bank created. mortgage calculator canada