Monday, December 20, 2010

A Home Birth Story

Sunday, December 5th. My due date. We were all a little under the weather, so we stayed home from church and went out to breakfast instead!

Will and Daddy
It was a very relaxing day at home, ending with a lovely dinner at a good friends house. The day came and went with no baby. Besides a bit of a cold and having no voice, I was feeling great!

Due Date Belly
Tuesday, Dec. 7th. It was a cold and snowy day. I was finally over my cold, and really itching to get out of the house to do some walking. But, my car was covered and surrounded by snow, so I decided to just stay home. I was being super attentive to my body throughout the day, hoping for some sort of sign that labor might be in the near future. Although they didn't feel any different, I thought I was getting more "braxton hick" contractions, while just sitting still, then I normally do.

By about 7pm, whenever I would get one it began to my butt. Like a nerve sensation. I figured that could be something! We went about our night as usual. Hanging out in the living room while Daddy and Will wrestled. Will running around naked, and thinking it was the funniest thing ever. We finally settle into bed at 11pm. I was pretty tired, and it felt so good to lay down. But not for long.....

Within minutes of laying down contractions started. Feeling a bit achy in my lower back, but mostly feeling it in my lower belly. I was getting them 5 minutes apart or less right off the bat. The last thing I wanted was to start labor already exhausted! I continued to lay in bed for the next hour trying desperately to fall asleep, but they just kept getting more uncomfortable and closer together. I got up to go to the bathroom and drink some water around 12am, hoping that might calm things down. I went back to bed, and told Dean what was going on. We stayed in bed for the next hour or so. Neither of us were able to fall asleep.

Dean got out his contraction counter app on his phone. 1am Contractions were 2 - 3min apart, lasting 20 - 40 seconds, and getting pretty painful. After over 2 hours of laying in bed, we decided to get up. (Time had just flown by! I couldn't believe I had been laying there for over 2 hours!) In between contractions I felt just fine, so we started to get everything ready. I called my midwife at 1:50am, and Dean called my mom (and 2 sisters), and sis in-law and told them they should come on over. They were all there by 2:30am, with the exception of my midwifes assistant, who lives over an hour away. She had her backup there though.

I continued to labor standing up; leaning on my dresser, the bed or coffee table during contractions. They were now 1 - 2 min apart, and very painful. Feeling pain in my upper legs too. 

Just about 3am my water broke. Within 5 minutes I had the urge to push. I got up on the bed, on my hands and knees, leaning on some pillows. I had a few contractions in that position and it was not good. He was coming way to fast on his own. The last thing he needed was the help of gravity, and the last thing I wanted was to tear. My midwife suggested I get on my left side. Unlike with Will, I was not having bad back labor, so that position worked great.

This is the point where things became drastically different then they were during Will's birth. With Will, it was very intense. I screamed my head off was very loud. The midwife was just telling me to "push, push, push" all I could during a contraction. I pushed for 30 minutes (which for my first, and how big he was, was pretty quick). I was not in tune with my body. I tore. Even though I was able to have the natural birth I wanted, it was pretty traumatic.

This time, I was a lot more calm. Even silent at times. My midwife (a different one) encouraged small, gentle pushes. To work with my body. I could feel him moving down the birth canal. Between contractions I was able to completely relax and rest. I pushed for 30 minutes. I didn't tear.

Samuel Leonard Eaton was born at 3:34am. 7lbs. 4oz. 21 inches long, after 4 1/2 hours of labor. He is absolutely perfect!


  1. Wow, that is an amazing story! I wish I had the labor of the 4th little helper for the first 3, it would have been sooo much better. But she was the last (18 years ago).

    Newest Follower! Anxious to read more posts about Sam and Will.

    Merry Christmas!

  2. I just found your blog and have to say that I love it! I love blogging, but have been slacking big time. Your blog has gotten me excited to get back into it. I just had my first baby (boy) on December 10th and thought it was cool that our babies are only a couple days apart.

  3. Wow wow WOW! Loved this one, too!